This position is located in Education Service under the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) in Washington, DC. The incumbent serves as the Deputy Director of Operations and is responsible for the planning, directing, coordinating, and controlling all the national Education Service operations activities related to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (MGIB) and Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), Reserve Educational Assistance Program DEA), Work Study and Tutorial Assistance programs.
- Provides leadership on operational issues related to data analytics, quality and training, systems management and client applications.
- Directs and supports Operations activities in the delivery of benefits and services.
- Advises and provides guidance on program policy, implementing procedures, and designing systems.
- Identifies organizational problems and recommends corrective actions and anticipated results.
- Provides information and decisions to members of Congress, national representatives of service organizations, department officials, representatives of other elements of VA, and other agency representatives regarding EDU operations.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and management of program enhancement initiatives of ongoing EDU field operations to senior-level leadership.
- Provides guidance to staff on methods of analyzing data, interpreting trends and taking appropriate actions.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-14) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is defined as work that involves:
- experience providing leadership and guidance in the development of an agency/organizations’ operational activities related to the delivery of benefits and services;
- directing and overseeing education or benefit related programs, initiatives, and service systems;
- and experience conducting comprehensive reviews to ensure quality, provide data solutions, and IT system support for education or veteran benefit related program activities and nation-wide training for processors and compliance staff.