Updated June 29, 2020
“… The collection and reporting of service and program data depend upon the capability of providers and State agencies to collect and report such data, and on the uniformity and standardization of data content within and across data reporters. The major national source of service and program data is the Behavioral Health Services Information System (BHSIS), which is administered by SAMHSA’s Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality (CBHSQ).
The purpose of this contract is to collect, manage, and analyze the data from the six (6) major inter-related components within the BHSIS contract. These include:
- Inventory of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment Facilities(I-TF) (This inventory system was formerly the Inventory of Behavioral Health Services (I-BHS).
- National Substance Use and Mental Health Services Survey (N-SUMHSS) (Pronounced: ‘n-sums’). This survey was previously two separate surveys know as National Mental Health Services Survey (N-MHSS) and National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS). This facility survey is an annual survey of substance abuse and mental health treatment facilities listed on the I-TF.
- Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS), a collection of substance abuse treatment admissions and discharges to publically-funded substance abuse treatment facilities.
- Mental Health-Client Level Data (MH-CLD), collections of mental health client level data from publically-funded mental health treatment service facilities.
- Uniform Reporting System (URS) Tables required for Mental Health Block Grant application procedures, which represents data collection efforts in coordination with CMHS Mental Health Block Grant program data needs.
- Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator – The N-SUMHSS data is used to populate the Locator. The Locator is a confidential and anonymous source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance use/addiction and/or mental health problems…”
Posted April 16, 2020
Solicitation Number: 283-20-0556
“The purpose of the Behavioral Health Services Information System (BHSIS) is to help support the collection and reporting of substance abuse and mental health treatment services.”
“The contractor will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Maintain and operate the Inventory of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment Facilities (I-TF) formerly known as the I-BHS, an electronic national inventory of all substance abuse treatment and mental health treatment facilities known to SAMHSA, which currently lists over 130,000 listings;
- Maintain, operate and improve the Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator system;
- Annual data collection and analysis for the new National Substance Use and Mental Health Services Survey (N-SUMHSS);
- Finalize data collection and analysis for National Mental Health Services Survey (N-MHSS);
- Finalize data collection and analysis for National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS) …”