“The Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Emergency Management and Resilience directs and oversees coordination of VA’s emergency management, resilience, preparedness and national security programs. As VA’s Continuity Manager, the DAS identifies and leads the development of innovative programs and partnerships in support of a whole of community response to ensure VA’s Primary Mission Essential Function and Mission Essential Functions are maintained in an all-hazards environment.”
“The DAS serves as the senior advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Administration/Operations, Security and Preparedness (HRA/OSP), Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for HRA/OSP, and Chief Security Officer (CSO), Operations, Security and Preparedness (OSP) on matters pertaining to emergency management and national security. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead Department-level emergency management programs and services.
- Develop and oversee Department-level emergency management strategy, policy and capabilities.
- Lead Department-wide planning and exercise efforts to validate VA’s ability to perform Primary Mission Essential Function and Mission Essential Functions during all-hazards events.
- Oversee development and management of Department-wide risk assessment program to create resiliency in continuity processes.
- Lead VA security administration programs ensuring that they are structured to prevent compromise of classified national security resources.
- Oversee and manage VA’s Insider Threat Program designed to detect, deter, mitigate and respond to actions that could compromise national security.”