Notice ID: 36C10B21Q0363
The Contractor shall provide a solution for the consolidation and modernization of VA s Active Directory (AD) environment. This specific effort shall consist of consolidating 33 AD domains. The Contractor shall provide Project Management and AD Architecture analysis, restructuring, and migration.
As a top priority for VA’s Active Directory (AD) Modernization and Cloud Computing, VA requires a solution for the consolidation and modernization of the AD environment that includes 700,000 user(s) and computer objects across 30-plus domains in a single Forest. VA is consolidating AD Domains in order to reduce domain controller footprint and be in a position to consume Cloud Computing services in the future, which may or may not include Azure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Amazon Web Services (AWS) IaaS, and Office 365. Each phase of this project would consist of collapsing a set of VA AD domains based on the funding provided.
With a re-architecture of AD, the VA is expecting to reduce overall network complexity while increasing resilience and security posture. Applications will be able to take advantage of future 5G networks extending a global footprint of information and data sharing.
The consolidated and restructured AD will meet the following goals:
- Enable VA to conduct application rationalization.
- Reduce labor cost for AD Administration.
- Lower cost of attestation and effort for preparing audit reports.
- Properly utilize cloud technologies.
- Bring Recovery Time Objectives to acceptable levels.
- Reduce ‘surface area’ for attack from adversaries.
- Reduce “cloud infrastructure” Domain Controller (DC).
- Lower cost of administration (building DC, updating policies, etc.).
- Tighten security, lowering risk.
- Single DC can have a single (temporal) Domain Admin.
- Enable application rationalization, resulting in fewer overall workloads.
- Other healthcare providers reduced number of applications by 70%.
- Both reduction of applications and reduction of instances.
- Standardize overall network, application, and user security policy.
- Improve maturity of network and applications to offer advanced, global medical sharing.