“The Executive Director (ED) is a full-time position that reports to the Chief Health Informatics Officer (CHIO) within the Office of Health Informatics (OHI) in VA Central Office, Washington, DC and functions as the Chief Medical Informatics Officer (CMIO) for VHA. OHI is integral to VHA programs that provide patient-centered health care to Veterans. The office provides advanced and secure enterprise data systems, decision support, and web communications that facilitate evidence-based decisions for individual Veterans and their families, patient populations, clinicians, and those managing healthcare delivery systems. Customer-focused training and support along with transparent oversight and governance will help to ensure that these tools are used most effectively to serve Veterans and VHA. The products and services provided by this office will impact health and healthcare at VA health systems designed for Veterans within VHA. In addition, VHA is embarking on a multi-year Electronic Medical Record (EMR) implementation. The ED for Clinical Informatics and Data Management Office (CIDMO) will provide leadership, counsel and oversight to this effort in support of the Veterans Affairs Program Office which is leading this initiative.”
“Specific functions for the Executive Director for CIDMO include the following.
- As requested, serves as the Acting Chief Officer for Clinical Informatics and represents OHI in a variety of executive forums and meetings.
- Serves as a member of the OHI Executive Leadership Team and makes organizational recommendations and decisions related to staffing, alignment, organizational priorities and needed actions.
- Sets the vision and strategy for CIDMO to inform the transformation of VHA health care through the timely provision of structured information that enables leadership to make knowledgeable decisions on health and health IT investments.
- Incumbent works regularly with high-level officials providing management advice and recommendations regarding methods of data delivery, data sources and data analyses. The incumbent develops and proposes to improve healthcare delivery. Incumbent is recognized as expert in both understanding of the agency’s functions and in health informatics. Creates strategies for delivering information across multiple organizational touch points and optimizing the use of the information.
- Incumbent plays an integral role in developing policy covering programs, activities and functions for which VHA has responsibility. Performs work involving the analysis of the feasibility and effectiveness of existing and/or proposed standards, regulations, programs, and policies. Serves as an agency expert on oversight of national programs with precedent-setting issues.”
G2X TAKE: Those who support the Department of Veterans Affairs may want to influence who applies for this role that sets the vision and strategy for CIDMO to inform the transformation of VHA health care through the timely provision of structured information that enables leadership to make knowledgeable decisions on health and health IT investments.